The snow of Ausangate is one of the highest peaks of Peru located in the Vilcanota mountain range at 130 kilometers from Cusco and reaches an altitude of (6,372 m / 20,905 ft) has several lagoons of a bright green / blue color, presents a landscape natural of great beauty.
To this chain of mountains covered with perpetual snow several walks are made one of them the fervent pilgrimage to the snow of Ocongate that is made only once a year, it is located the Lord of Qoyllur Rity (snowy peak) that attracts every year to thousands of pilgrims, but the Nevado de Ausangate can be visited frequently by all those who love adventure and like to be in contact with pure nature.
Day 01: Cusco – Upis
Early in the morning we will pick up from their respective hotels and then move on our tourist bus to the town of Tinki which is at an altitude of (3,800 m / 12,467 ft). On our way we will visit towns such as Urcos and Ocongate to finally reach the town. small town of Tinki. From this village we will start the walk towards the village of Upis on the route we will have a delicious lunch. In the afternoon we will arrive to our camp which is next to the thermal baths.
Day 02: Upis – Ausangate Cocha
After our breakfast we leave Upis to begin an ascent of approximately 3 hours of walk until we reach Abra Arapa, from where we will have a splendid view of the mountains, in the course of our journey we will stop to take our food. During our way we will be able to appreciate lagoons surrounded by rocky formations and the typical landscape of the puna, we will arrive to our second camp Ausangate Cocha after 6 hours of walk approximately.
Day 03: Ausangate Cocha – Palomani – Pinaya
After our breakfast we will continue with our trip following a path that is rising for 3 hours, we will continue in descent, this time very close to the snowy mountains until reaching 5,200 m / 17,060 ft, the panoramic view is really impressive where we will appreciate a wide chain of snowed, after marveling, we will begin the descent to the Pinaya valley, which will be our third camp.
Day 04: Pinaya – Qampa – Pachanta
After taking our breakfast we left early. This day we will go again very close to the snowy peaks, the second Abra Qampa at 5,000 m / 16,404 ft, we will enjoy a landscape without equal. We will continue our journey descending through the Valley of Lagunas as: Qomercocha, Pacacocha and Azul Cocha, until we reach the Pachanta farmhouse. Dinner and overnight.
Day 05: Pacchanta – Tinki – Cusco
This last day, we will walk for 3 to 4 hrs. Until we reach the town of Tinki, upon our arrival in the town of Tinki, our transportation will be waiting for us to return to the City of Cusco.
Ausangate Trek Image:
- Pick up from the hotel and transport to the town of Tinki.
- Local Route Guide in English and Spanish.
- Food: 04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 04 dinners
- Cook with all his cooking equipment
- Equipment: Quadruple tents for two people, dining tent, kitchen tent, tables, chairs
- Accommodation for the guide, cook and arrieros.
- Horsemen (in charge of the horses).
- Horses (transporting food and equipment).
- 1 Emergency horse
- Boiled water every morning First aid kit,
- Oxygen balloon.
- Transportation from Tinki to Cusco.
- Breakfast first day, and lunch on the last day.
- Tips For carriers and guide.
- Water during the journey
- Ausangate entrance.
What to Bring:
- Sleeping bag -20 cº (can rent office)
- Lantern-light of hands
- Toilet paper
- Plastic bags for waste
- Water purifying tablets
- Waterproof jacket and polar t-shirts
- 4 poles
- Long pants
- One shorts
- Several pairs of stockings
- Poncho for rain
- Hiking shoes
- Sandals to rest your feet in the camp
- Hat or cap to protect from the sun
- Personal medications
- Chocolates, candies and nutritious bars
- Optional: walking sticks